The sledding hill and warming house at Tom O’Leary Golf Course are closed until further notice due to poor sledding conditions.
The Expressway underpass on the Sertoma Trail is closed.
Two segments of the Cottonwood Park trail, 2506 South 12th St., are closed until further notice due to construction of additional softball fields.
VFW Sports Center
1200 North Washington Street • 222-6588 or 221-6815
The VFW Sports Center has two separate rinks and is home to a multitude of recreation activities: hockey, figure skating, public skating, curling, golf. Located near the facility are the Sam McQuade Sr. Softball Complex, Sheila Schafer Junior Links, Bismarck Capital Curling Club, and Tom O’Leary Tennis Courts. The facility and grounds are surrounded by 2.4 miles of recreational trails.
Public Indoor Ice Skating
- Rink 1
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 12 – 1:15pm
- Skating Fee: Free. No skate rentals.
- Rink 2 – Opens November 3
- Sundays: 3:00 – 5pm
- $2/Individual; $5/family. No skate rentals.
There will be skate monitors on duty during Sunday public skating. We cannot be responsible for accidents, so please be careful. No pucks or sticks
- Skate with the flow.
- No racing or dodging other skaters.
- No food on the ice.
- No spins – both feet must be on the ice.
- Be courteous to other skaters.
- Always use caution – be aware of other skaters.
Drop-In Youth Hockey
Youth hockey games for Squirts to high school (ages 9-18).
- Wednesdays from 7:45-9:15pm
- VFW Sports Center, Rink 2, 1200 N Washington St.
- Cost: $5 per player
Drop-In Hockey Rules:
- First come, first served basis. Limited to 24 skaters and two goalies.
- All players are required to wear a helmet with a full face mask, hockey gloves and hockey skates. All other hockey equipment is recommended.
- Body checking and slap shots are prohibited.
- Wrestling, fighting or horseplay is not permitted.
- Private coaches and instructors are not allowed, along with any coaching or instruction.
- No alcohol or tobacco.
- Failure to comply with these rules may result in remove from the drop-in hockey session.
- Arena Staff have final say on all issues in the arena.
Open Stick Time
Open stick time is for individuals looking for little extra skate time on the ice.
- Open Stick Time Schedule
- Cost: Free
- Time: 12:00-1:00pm
- Location: VFW Sports Center, Rink 2, 1200 N. Washington St.
Open to all ages. Helmet w/face mask & skates required.
Pick-up games are not permitted during open stick time.
- Ice Rentals: $85/hour (limited availability)
- Dry Floor: $40/hour
- Must be reserved at least 24 hours in advance.
- Click here to view schedules for Ice Arenas
- Reservations: call Mike at 221-6814