Bismarck Board of Park Commissioners Brief for Feb. 17, 2022
Bismarck Board of Park Commissioners Brief
Meeting Recap for Feb. 17, 2022
Gavin McCollam shared information about the Sleepy Hollow Theatre & Arts Park as a Bismarck Parks and Recreation District (BPRD) featured partner. Attendance for the 2021 season was 13,536. They continue to fundraise to build a pavilion to cover the stage. The 2022 season will feature productions of “The Little Mermaid” and “Legally Blonde.”
The Board approved the request to grant developer Ron Knutson and TPR LLP a waiver of the requirement to place a neighborhood park in the Daybreak 2nd Addition due to the commercial nature of the plat with the commitment from the developer to enter into a park development agreement with BPRD in a future plat of the area.
The Board accepted the proposal from Pepsi Beverage Co. as BPRD’s exclusive soft drink vending and supply provider for a five-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2023, and directed staff to develop an agreement with the vendor for future Board approval.
The Board approved Matching Grants in Round 1 to the following organizations:
- Farwest Rotary Club – $5,000 for benches at New Generations Park
- Bismarck Mandan Lacrosse Association – $760 for goalie equipment for the girls’ program
- Bismarck Gymnastics Academy – $7,971 for competitive carpet and foam
- Fraternal Order of Eagles – $25,000 for electrical pedestals for RV camping at Eagles Park
- Bismarck Youth Fastpitch Softball Association – $14,878 for dugout and storage improvements at Dakota Community Bank & Trust Youth Fastpitch Complex at Cottonwood Park
- Burleigh County 4-H – $25,000 for a playground at the Joann Hetzel Memorial 4-H Building
- Bismarck Rotary Club – $2,400 for improvements to the Bismarck Rotary Arboretum
The Board approved pursuit of agency reaccreditation with the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies of the National Recreation and Park Association in 2023.
The Board accepted fertilizer bids for 2022 from Van Diest Supply Company, The Tessman Company and Rivards.
The Board rejected the award of the original bid from NB Golf Cars for lead-acid-battery golf carts and approved the new bid submitted by NB Golf Cars for 48 lithium-ion-battery golf carts for $275,156.80 to be delivered in 2022.
The Board approved disposal of obsolete records per BPRD policy.
The Board approved Bravera Bank as a designated depository for BPRD funds; another six financial institutions were approved for the same designation in January 2022.
The Board authorized a BPRD grant application to the North Dakota Outdoor Heritage Fund for the Clairmont Family Conservation Park and to the State Energy Program for 2023 projects. The Board authorized selection of a consultant for the Joann Hetzel Memorial 4-H Building playground project. The Board authorized a call for bids for pavement maintenance at McDowell Dam Recreation Area, tables and chairs for the Joann Hetzel Memorial 4-H Building, and playground replacement at the Sam McQuade Sr. Softball Complex.
The next regularly scheduled Board meeting is Thursday, March 17, 2022, at 5:15 p.m. in the Tom Baker Meeting Room.